My landlord obligations: what are they?

landlord obligations

Introduction to your landlord obligations

Landlord obligations can be tricky. To help, online estate agent easyProperty has gathered this list of crucial landlord obligations.

This blog serves as a guide to your landlord obligations. If you’re not sure what to do, please speak to a legal expert.

This list covers:

Landlord obligations: safety

Gas safety

landlord obligations gas safety

Legally, landlords must have a gas safety inspection each year if there’s a gas supply. A copy of the Gas Safety Certificate must be given to tenants.

Appliances, installations, pipework, and air vents must be checked to ensure they’re safe to use.

Take note
Only a Gas Safe-registered engineer can do inspections and repairs.

Meet your landlord obligations and get a Gas Safety Certificate today. Or read The Landlords’ Guide To Gas Safety for more advice.

Buy now > Read more >

Back to top

Electrical safety

All electrical fittings (sockets and lights) must be safe throughout a tenancy. Devices must have a CE mark, too.

Take note

landlord obligations CE logo

A CE mark is the manufacturer’s declaration that the product meets European law.

If your rental is a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO), landlords must have an electrician perform tests every five years.

Take a look at The Landlords’ Guide To Electrical Safety to learn more about your landlord obligations.

Learn more >

Back to top

Fire safety

landlord obligations fire alarm

When it comes to fire safety, it’s best to be cautious with your landlord obligations. By law, rentals must have:

  1. Access to escape routes at all times
  2. Fire-safe furniture and furnishings
  3. Fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors (a fire extinguisher is a good idea, too).
Take note
A smoke alarm must be on all floors of your rental. Carbon monoxide detectors must be in any room with fuel-burning devices.

Check out The Landlords’ Guide To Fire Safety to learn more about your landlord obligations.

Find out more >

Back to top

Landlord obligations: paperwork

landlord obligations deposit protection

Deposit protection

If landlords take a deposit in an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), legally they must protect it in a government-backed scheme. This stops rogue landlords and agents keeping funds when they shouldn’t.

Take note
You must protect deposits within 30 days to avoid a fine of up to three times the amount. Tenants need a copy of the deposit registration certificate, as well as the Prescribed Information.The Housing Act 2004 states landlords must give tenants information about their deposit protection. This is known as the Prescribed Information, and will change with each deposit protection scheme.Landlords can’t serve a Section 21 Notice if the deposit isn’t protected.

Meet this landlord obligation with our Deposit Protection and AST bundle. We can register the deposit and send you a comprehensive, ARLA-accredited tenancy agreement. All for just £24.99.

Buy now >

Back to top

Energy performance

landlord obligations EPC

Landlords need a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to legally let a property in the UK.

EPCs look at the energy efficiency of a property, and advise how to improve it. Tenants need a copy when they move in.

Avoid a £200 fine. Meet your landlord obligations and get a valid EPC for your rental. Or read The Landlords’ Guide to EPCs to learn more.

Get an EPC > Read more >

Back to top

‘How to Rent’ guide

landlord obligations how to rent

Landlords must give tenants the government guide, ‘How to Rent’, before they move in. It lists landlord obligations and tenants’ rights.

Download now >

You can give your tenant a hard copy or attach the guide in an email.

Take note
Landlords can’t serve a Section 21 Notice if they haven’t given tenants this guide.

Back to top

Right to Rent

Legally, landlords in England must not let to anyone without the ‘Right to Rent’. Landlords who do face a fine of up to £3,000 per tenant, or even imprisonment.

The Government has issued a list of commonly available documents landlords can check. You should keep a copy of any document to prove your tenants can live in the UK.

For more about your landlord obligations, check out The Landlords’ Guide to ‘Right to Rent’ Checks.

Learn more >

Back to top

Landlord obligations: admin

landlord obligations admin

Paying tax

Landlords must declare rental income to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC). This means they may have to pay tax. Landlords can be fined if they don’t declare this income.

Top tip 
Note the self-assessment deadlines and set up reminders.

If you live abroad, you still have to pay tax on your rental income unless you have an exemption certificate. To apply for an HMRC exemption certificate, click here.

A lot of landlord expenses are tax deductible. For advice on how to be tax efficient, check out The Landlords’ Guide to What Can You Claim on a Buy-To-Let.

Read our guide >

Back to top

Licensing and permission

You must have the freeholder’s consent to rent out the property if you own the leasehold.

If the property has a mortgage, you must let your lender know you will rent it. You need landlords’ insurance, too. Find out more in The Landlords’ Guide To Understanding Landlord Insurance.

Learn more >

Take note
Some districts have started licensing schemes. It’s important you check if your council needs you to be licensed.

If the property is a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO), you may need an HMO licence.

Back to top

Landlord obligations: condition and repairs

landlord obligations repairs

To meet your landlord obligations, rentals must:

  • Be structurally sound and free from major disrepair
  • Be free from damp that could harm health
  • Have a water supply, good drainage, and a suitably located toilet, a bath or shower, and a wash basin
  • Have proper lighting, heating, and ventilation.

There are some repairs landlords must always do:

  • The property’s structure and outside
  • Basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings (pipes and drains, too)
  • Heating and hot water
  • Gas devices, pipes, flues and ventilation
  • Electrics.

If tenants complain, councils can force landlords to make repairs under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

Take note 
If you visit the property to assess damage or make repairs, you must give tenants at least 24 hours of notice.

Landlords can’t serve a Section 21 Notice within six months of getting an improvement notice.

Back to top

How easyProperty can help with your landlord obligations

Keep up to date with your landlord obligations. Check out easyProperty’s Blog and Knowledge Hub from time to time.

Or look at our lettings products for huge savings.

Have a browse > Back to blog >

This blog serves as a guide to your landlord obligations. If you’re not sure what to do, please speak to a legal expert.